Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Minecraft: A Tale of Survival - Day One

[Editor’s Note: At IGN one of the things we've all come to agree on is this: Minecraft is special not only because it allows you to unleash your creativity, but because it allows you to create a narrative for your character. Are you the king of the realm? A crazed and brave slayer of zombies? A spelunker? Or maybe, just maybe you're like this pour soul here: a bewildered victim of a ship-wreck, starting in a world with only a single tree and a single land mass. What follows is the start of a one survivor's story, told through a his journal. Can he survive with just a single tree and his wits?]

DAY ONE

I awoke with a start. Head throbbing. Disoriented. Where was I? Where was the ship? Oh god! The ship…was gone. Wrecked.

I shouted out, but received no reply. I quickly realized that I was wholly and completely alone here. But where is “here,” anyway?

Oh no.

Oh no. No no no!

I quickly realized I had washed up on a small island. For a moment I felt hopeless. But I only allowed myself that one moment. I steeled my nerves. I quickly found two small trees. And some tall grass.

I can do this.

I felled the trees and quickly replanted the saplings. I knew I would need ample wood supplies if I wished to have any hope of survival.

I also gathered as many seeds as I could manage from the surrounding tall grass. Using the wood from the initial two trees I fashioned a few simple tools, including a farming implement, and planted a very basic farm plot.

My lifeline.

Oh God, is it already mid-day? They will be coming soon.

Using a crude wood pickaxe I struck at the earth wildly. I didn’t have a plan. Just survival. I would huddle in a dark dirt hovel overnight, if I had to.

By the Void-Makers, finally some luck! I had used all my wood fashioning my initial tools, and had resolved to spent the night in darkness. Just as I began to lose hope, through pure happenstance I managed to stumble across a small coal deposit.

I quickly crafted a few torches using the coal. By torchlight I burrowed a basic shelter, constructing a basic work bench, furnace and storage chest along the way. By now I was beginning to feel a bit silly about my frenzied digging.  Surely they wouldn’t be able to reach an area as remote as this.

Right?

I resolved to take a look outside, confident that my earlier precautions would prove to be causeless.

Oh no. No no no.

They're here.

END OF DAY ONE.

Justin is Editor of IGN Wireless. He also enjoys playing Minecraft during his free time and apparently has a penchant for the dramatic. You can follow him on Twitter and IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment