Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Was Hawkeye a Disappointment in Avengers?

As with any action-packed ensemble movie, there's usually not a whole lot of room for substantial character development. In The Avengers' case, you're essentially looking at seven major players portrayed by seven major names -- and with only two and a half hours to spare, someone's gotta get the shaft. Cue Jeremy Renner.

While Renner's Hawkeye was definitely a fan favorite by the end of the movie, there's no denying that the majority of his screen time was spent as a mindless servant of Loki. In a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, Renner discussed some of the drawbacks of taking on the role in Joss Whedon's blockbuster.

"At the end of the day, 90% of the movie, I'm not the character I signed on to play," said Renner. "I'm literally in there for two minutes, and then all of a sudden... All I could really work on was the physical part of it all, because that didn't change. That was just the biggest challenge to overcome in playing the guy. Also, we're pretty much introducing a new superhero character to everyone in a movie where there's a thousand superheroes. So there's not a lot of back story or understanding we can really tell about who Clint Barton is, or Hawkeye, and is he working for S.H.I.E.L.D. or not. There's a lot of unanswered questions, even for me. And I was okay with that. At least I was still in the movie. And I was glad for that... And obviously, you can’t go into too much just because there’s so much story to tell."

When asked if there was any potential for a Hawkeye spin-off, the actor replied, "I don't know. I think there's always possibilities of anything in the Marvel universe. There's gotta be a want from people to see something like that. I don't know if there is. Maybe there is maybe there isn't. But who knows? We'll see."

Marvel's The Avengers comes out on Blu-ray and DVD September 25.

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love on Twitter and IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment