Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ryback is a Psycho (for Success)!

Available today, fans can now download WWE Superstar Ryback as part of WWE 13's DLC and play as the unstoppable beast who never seems to get enough nourishment. Yes, the "Feed Me More" chant has been heard echoing on RAW over the past few months, as Ryback has attempted to end the reign of WWE Champion CM Punk, with the two of them set for another match - a TLC Match - at the TLC PPV this coming Sunday.

I had a chance to talk to Ryback about now being available to all as a character in WWE 13, his reaction to the "Golberg" chants and his dream opponent.

IGN: It must be a trip to not only be a part of the main event scene, but now also be in your first video game.

Ryback: It is. It's incredible. I've seen it briefly. The WWE's actually sent me a copy of the game here so I could play a little more, but from what I've seen it's very lifelike and realistic. It's everything that I could ask for. Especially being in my first ever WWE game. It's pretty cool to see that.

- THQ

IGN: You've been a wrestling fan for a long time. Who were your heroes when you were growing up?

Ryback: Yeah, I've been a big fan since I was at a young age. When I was six, I remember seeing Hogan and Andre in Las Vegas. So it started with them and guys like Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude and all those. And then growing up and being able to live through the Attitude Era, which was cool since WWE 13 is Attitude Era-based. The fans can now re-live those moments that they all grew up with. With Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock and Undertaker. I've grown up with this business my entire life.

IGN: You mentioned guys like Hogan and Warrior. Is being a monster brute in the ring your preferred style?

Ryback: Maybe subconsciously, I don't know. I'm very intense and I've just been that way my entire life in everything I do. I go out to that ring my mission is to destroy, so I just always keep that in my head. It isn't always pretty. [laughs] I don't think I've done one headlock takeover since I came back on WWE TV as Ryback. I haven't needed to though. But if there comes a time when I have to do that, I will. I know how to do that. I know how to wrestle different styles than the one I'm doing right now. But right now, I'm power-based and explosive. And that's what's worked for me thus far, so I'll continue to stick with it.

IGN: What about promo time? Would you like more time on the mic? Or does saying less, essentially, say more?

Ryback: Obviously, that's what we've done so far, and it's been around seven months. And we're living in a time where people aren't very patient anymore, and we're trying to build some patience. And it's worked thus far. I love speaking and would love to go out there and verbally express myself, but we haven't needed to. Less has been more. But I am talking a little bit more and more and pretty soon you'll probably see me talking on more of a regular basis. But right now, it's not something we're focusing on as much. But I welcome it. I think, eventually, they'll have to add different elements to me and who I am as Ryback.

IGN: Let's talk about your run as Ryback.

Ryback: It's been a really fast seven months since I debuted. And to go from the local athletes to, essentially, being shoved up into the main event scene, is a dream come true. You know, I've been around. It's not like I just showed up out of nowhere. I've been with the WWE for some time and I've had a lot of trials and tribulations. Everything that's happened though has prepared me for this. For what I'm going through right now. And those experiences are why I've been successful thus far. It's something that I wanted from the beginning. I knew what my goals were and that was the be the WWE Champion and the foundation of the WWE for many years to come. So this is just the beginning all that. And it's no shock to me at all.

IGN: And what about the "Goldberg" chants that you get sometimes?

Ryback: Being compared to someone like that, to someone like Goldberg, is a great thing. Our fan-base, the WWE Universe, is very loyal to the guys who came before us. And he has his followers. And his loyalists. And people find similarities in guys. I knew it would just take a little bit of time for people to be able to identify with me. You just gotta take it slow sometimes. The "Feed Me More" thing all came about because I just want more in life. I just want people to give me more because I like succeeding. And at the time, when I first said "Feed Me More," I was just getting the local athletes and I was just screaming to everyone in the back, and to the entire world, that I wanted more. So that's where that came from. And it's kind of just taken on a life of its own. It's great. The "Goldberg" chants have pretty much died down now. We'll still get a few of them here or there, but they're now drowned out by "Feed Me More" chants. So you're seeing Ryback take on a life of his own here. It's something that I knew would happen, it just took a little time.

Ryback stands triumphant over CM Punk on Monday Night RAW.

I think the similarities were just based on our in-ring look. You know, I've got a shaved head and some facial hair. I'm not going out there and doing Goldberg moves. And the younger WWE audience, they haven't seen anyone like that. And the last time that the older crowd did, it was Goldberg. Or, at least, he's the one they choose to remember. What we're doing right now, what I'm doing, is a breath of fresh air in the WWE. And much needed, I believe.

IGN: Where did the "Feed Me More" stuff and all the eating references come from?

Ryback: That's something that the WWE came up with and it's very fitting. It's very "law of the jungle" and "top of the food chain" stuff. It all comes from the way that I live my life. So it's been a really collaborative effort. It's not food-driven necessarily, as far as the character you see on TV, it's me. I'm a psycho for success. I constantly just want the most out of life. It does entertain me because my eating habits are one of a kind and I eat a tremendous amount of food on a daily basis. But the "Feed Me More" thing if totally competition driven.

IGN: Who would your dream match be with?

Ryback: Right now, and I don't know how many more he has in him, but it would be a tremendous honor to step into the ring with The Undertaker at WrestleMania and challenge 'the streak.' That's something I would love to happen. Whether it does or not is out of my hands.

Ryback is now available as part of WWE 13's DLC.

Matt Fowler is a writer for IGN. Follow him on Twitter at @TheMattFowler and on IGN at mattfowler. No other choice you will ever make will be as easy and render such a great reward.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment