Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

What's Next for Guillermo del Toro? Crimson Peak

Director Guillermo del Toro has selected the ghost story Crimson Peak as his next directorial effort. The project is currently set to begin production in early 2014.

According to Deadline, the film will be backed by Legendary Pictures, which financed the filmmaker's forthcoming Pacific Rim. Warner Bros. will likely distribute, with Universal retaining an option of coming in to co-finance at a later date.

As Del Toro puts it, Crimson Peak is "a very set-oriented, classical but at the same time modern take on the ghost story. It will allow me to play with the conventions of the genre I know and love, and at the same time subvert the old rules."

"I've always tried to make big-sized horror movies like the ones I grew up watching," he continued. "Films like The Omen, The Exorcist and The Shining, the latter of which is another Mount Everest of the haunted house movie... I think people are getting used to horror subjects done as found footage or B-value budgets. I wanted this to feel like a throwback."

Meanwhile, Del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, which is based on the H.P. Lovecraft horror classic, is also not entirely out of the picture. In fact, Del Toro hopes that after Crimson Peak, Legendary will be a part of that film as well.

"My hope is, down the line we can do it," he said. "People ask how do I choose projects. All the projects in my roster are there because I love them, but the financing process is serendipity. And often, the ones I think will happen don't, and the ones I think won't happen, do."

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love by following @Max_Nicholson on Twitter, or MaxNicholson on IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment