Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Ex-WipEout Dev Says Future Instalments Unlikely

An ex-developer of the WipEout franchise has revealed he believes there will be no more instalments in the series following the demise of Sony Liverpool last year.

In an interview with VG247, Nick Burscombe explained that despite rumours suggesting the Liverpool Studio was working on a WipEout title for PS4 before being shuttered, it's unlikely this will now come to fruition.

If I had the chance – I’d love to bring something like Wipeout to iOS.

When asked whether he thought more entries in the WipEout franchise were likely, he responded, "Who knows? Sony keep things pretty tight regarding plans, but my honest answer is probably not, even though I’d hope so. I’d love to see Sony experiment with some of its IP across other platforms – maybe that’s the ‘Psygnosis’ in me. If I had the chance – I’d love to bring something like Wipeout to iOS.

"I’d want to go freemium to reach as wide an audience as possible, and then hit them with something utterly spectacular," he continued. "There’s so many ways to monetise a game like Wipeout I think it could be a great success – the trick is to keep the costs under control if you know you’re going to have more of a hardcore following. I think the fans of the franchise deserve another chance to put themselves into that Zen-like state and be at one with it."

The last WipEout game to be released was WipEout 2048 for the PS Vita early last year. Before being closed, Sony Liverpool enjoyed a long and valuable history. It originally started life as Psygnosis in 1984, and quickly established itself as a cornerstone of the British games industry, producing and publishing games such as Barbarian and Lemmings. Sony bought the studio in 1993, rebranding it in the process.

Luke Karmali is IGN's UK Editorial Assistant. You too can revel in mediocrity by following him on IGN and on Twitter.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment