Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Contrast: When Casablanca Met Portal

When we look back on PAX East 2013 a year from now, there’s a good chance it’ll be remembered for its wealth of fantastic, original indie titles, none of which left me in such a blissful stupor as Contrast. The first game by the recently-formed Compulsion, Contrast is a wonderful amalgam of so many things I love.

A Parisian, ‘20s-set noir in the vein of Casablanca and The Third Man, you play as Dawn, the imaginary friend of a young girl. As Dawn, you can roam freely around the streets of France and soak in the fantastic atmosphere that the team at Compulsion has managed to harness. But Contrast’s true magic comes when you approach a wall and become a shadow, transforming the game from a 3D adventure to a 2D platformer. Game director Guillaume Provost explained to me how he was inspired after playing through the original Portal to create a unique mechanic that could act as the spine of a puzzle game. When he finally came up with the idea of shifting in and out of shadows, the link with film noir became a no-brainer.

The most interesting use of the mechanic came when I stumbled upon a marry-go-round that was brightly lit from one side. As the various horses’ shadows traversed a wall, I could become a shadow and ride each one up the alley until I reached a balcony, at which point I could transform back into a three-dimensional person and continue climbing as I pleased. The mechanic is unique and wonderfully implemented throughout the portion that I had a chance to play. But for as much as I enjoyed the feel of transitioning from tangible human to ephemeral shadow, the real joy of Contrast came from the sheer sense of wonderment that came exuded from the world.

It’s hard for me to describe the rush of emotions I felt during one of the earlier puzzles in the demo. I entered what seemed like an empty jazz bar that still pulsated with the residual energy of whiskey, cigarette smoke, and nostalgia. I was prompted to find a trio of spotlights that resided throughout the theater, and to use them to shine a bit of light on the barren stage. I didn’t expect much from this minor quest, but upon aiming the first beam of light at stage-left, I was suddenly mesmerized.

The light hit an invisible specter and displayed a huge shadow of a bass player. The silence of the empty venue was suddenly filled with the deep reverberations of his instrument. I ran to the other side of the bar and used the second spotlight on stage-right, where I illuminated the shadow of a piano player who was fully engrossed in keeping up with the frantic pace of his ethereal partner. When I finally made it up to the balcony and aimed the final light at the center of the stage, the scene blossomed into something spectacular.

I want to go to there.

A buxom silhouette reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe viewed through the eyes of Tim Burton began singing a seductive jazz number. This is one of the many original songs that have been created for Contrast, all of which add so many flavors to the already impeccable atmosphere. As I watched this surreal scene unfold, I realized that the folks at Compulsion have created a world that is wholly unique in the gaming landscape. In a medium filled with space operas, magical kingdoms, and gritty cityscapes, Contrast succeeds at being something different, which is something that a whole lot of developers could take note of.

Contrast is set for a Steam release in May, with console versions being considered for later on. It's a game that left me craving nicotine, brown liquor, and nostalgia. But most of all, it left me counting the minutes until when I could submerge myself into Compulsion’s world once again.

Marty Sliva is an Associate Editor at IGN. Alongside Transistor, Contrast was the most impressive thing he saw at PAX East 2013. Follow him on Twitter @McBiggitty and on IGN.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment