Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Richard Garriot: ‘Most Game Designers Really Just Suck’

When it comes to video game history, few names are as important and recognizable as Richard Garriott (also known as Lord British). Beginning with the game Akalabeth: World of Doom and working into the exceptionally influential PC series Ultima, Garriott has long since cemented his name in industry lore.

And in an interview with PC Gamer, it’s clear that he thinks pretty highly of himself, too.

When showing author Tyler Wilde a bunch of amazing relics, such as “the founding document” of Ultima and a roll of paper that accounts to his very first foray into programming, Garriott went into how he did everything back in the day, from writing to art to audio to programming. But first and foremost, he’s a game designer.

“But other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts [of Wing Commander fame], I’ve met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am,” Garriott said. “I’m not saying that because I think I’m so brilliant. What I’m saying is, I think most game designers really just suck, and I think there’s a reason why.”

Garriot later explains what he means. “If you like games, you eventually get to the point where you’d like to make one. But if you had this magic art talent as a youth, you can refine your skills and show a portfolio and say, ‘I’m a good artist, go hire me[.]’ If you’re nerdy enough to hack into a computer, programming on your own, you can go to school and learn proper structure, make code samples and go ‘Look, I’m a good programmer, hire me.’"

“But if you’re not a good artist and not a good programmer,” he concludes, “but you still like games, you become a designer, if you follow me. You get into Q&A and often design.”

To read PC Gamer’s full – and absolutely fascinating – interview with Garriott, click here.

Colin Moriarty is an IGN PlayStation editor. You can follow him on Twitter and IGN and learn just how sad the life of a New York Islanders and New York Jets fan can be.


Source : ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment